Squeaks and Rattles

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adhurdler

I now have 800 miles on the car and I am so surprised on the number of squeaks and rattles in my 2017 Premium Plus. I just had the dealer replace the seat frame because of a terrible clicking noise (Livermore Audi did a great job with this.)

I was driving it home and just noticed many other rattles throughout the car. Beyond surprised since I have a Q7 that is whisper quiet and drove an A4 loaner for 2 weeks that was also quiet without a single rattle.

Anyone else experiencing this?

The only real creak I have is the brake. The brake pedal itself seems to creak lightly at low speeds.

What other rattles are you experiencing?

Like quasitime, I only get a little squeak from the brakes when I release the e-brake and drive off. After that initial squeak, nothing.
My e-tron is a 2016 model and it has almost 29,000 kms.

I do have a minor rattle in the dash that I can hear at low speeds, mainly because otherwise the car is essentially silent. Mentioned it to the service advisor and they hunted around and stuffed a little more insulation. Seemed to help for a while, but I still hear it on occasion.

This might be the same issue that Rolls Royce had years ago with some customers complaining about the annoyingly loud ticking of the analogue clock.

andymccrory":1g2xrq3i said:
This might be the same issue that Rolls Royce had years ago with some customers complaining about the annoyingly loud ticking of the analogue clock.

Yes! That drove me crazy! Almost as bad as my servants rattling the silver. I finally had to take my after-dinner drinks in the east wing of the estate.

;)

My car has almost 9k miles and there isn't a single noise while driving. Only noise I have heard is when I turn the car off, there is a ticking noise from the dashboard until I open the door. Anyone else hear this? 2016 etron

The only noise I've noticed is a quiet engine knock type noise when stopping in electric mode. Happens just as the car rolls to a stop. Haven't taken it in yet to figure out what it is.

No noise from the dash of my 2016.
But maybe I've been so accustomed to it that I've developed a tolerance to it.
I'll keep an ear out on my drives and report back.

I have a 2016. I'm coming up on 1 year, almost 12k miles. Interior build quality is a pile of shit for a $40k car. Glad it's only a two year lease. I would hate to think about owning this shit box.

Not even 5000 miles in, rear pillar is creaking non-stop. If the car goes over any type of bump that puts torsion on the body, creak. Then the glove box has a horrible high frequency rattle. Now somewhere under the steering column is creaking. And finally, the front passenger door covering creaks.

Mechanically the car's been fine. Only had the CEL come on once, and it went away before I had a chance to clear/look it up. Been averaging 80-100 mpg, and I fill it up once a month.

ibistron - I doubt that most e-tron owners here would consider their cars' a pile of shit. I also don't think that they've encountered the various problems that you have. I for one haven't had any squeaks or rattles in mine and I've driven nearly 30,000 km in just 13 months.
The only squeaks I get is from the brakes when I disengage the e-brake and drive off.
I will say that there have been a few others on this forum that have had noise issues but not to the extent that you have (or maybe they didn't give as much detail or be as descriptive as you).
I don't doubt your issues, but remember, even owners of cars costing 2x (or more) than the $40k e-tron have complained about s & r's (not saying it's justified, just that it happens).

Maybe Germany has uncharacteristically smooth roads compared to southern California, and the engineers never prepared for the day-to-day uneven roads here. It's too bad, cause the first 5k mile was bliss.

ibistron":jacjgtb6 said:
Maybe Germany has uncharacteristically smooth roads compared to southern California, and the engineers never prepared for the day-to-day uneven roads here. It's too bad, cause the first 5k mile was bliss.

The roads in the Greater Toronto Area is not smooth. Winter and the tonnes of salt dumped on the roads takes a huge toll every year. So much so that road work construction is considered a season.

ibistron":3de7d748 said:

Sorry you had such a bad experience with your 2016 e-tron. I recently just got my 2016 e-tron back from the repair shop. My car's front passenger side fender was crushed in and front passenger door scratched by a negligent Yukon driver. I didn't realize how much I missed the quiet driving and propulsion of the A3 e-tron. I had a Ford Fusion and Hyundai Sonata as car rentals for a month. My daily commute from Long Beach to DTLA involves HOV lanes and occasional side streets. I think you have a one-off car because my e-tron doesn't exhibit the same rattles and squeaks your e-tron has and were driving the same shitty roads (probably more for me because DTLA roads is a construction zone with plates and uneven asphalt roads). My odometer is currently at 17,797 miles.

I suggest you take your car in for fixes. If you're in the South Bay area, I recommend Circle Audi or Audi Pacific (they give you a loaner!).

-Ben

Just wanted to provide an update:

The dealer was able to fix the issue. After a test drive with the tech, we were able to isolate the noise to the seat backrest. They took it apart and insulated some of the lumbar and other components. Now the car is quiet :D

Back