Key Hide

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papo

Does anyone have a way of hiding the key FOB on the car. This is the first car I've owned with keyless entry. I surf. In the past I could lock my keys in the car and wear a spare key on a cord around my neck and under my wetsuit. Leaving the key FOB in the car does not seem to be possible and wearing it the water won't work.

Papo":3vveduu3 said:
Does anyone have a way of hiding the key FOB on the car. This is the first car I've owned with keyless entry. I surf. In the past I could lock my keys in the car and wear a spare key on a cord around my neck and under my wetsuit. Leaving the key FOB in the car does not seem to be possible and wearing it the water won't work.

This only seems safe if there's someway to block it's signal or fully shutting off the auto-open on touching the door. Otherwise anyone touching the drivers door handle will unlock the car.

Good question. I've been hiding mine under the lip of the rear bumper - far enough so doors stay locked - but no way to lock rear tailgate. With an extra board and phone in the the car it's a bit nerve racking for sure...

Just a thought -haven't tried it- but what about a metal key box with magnet somewhere on the body. The box might prevent the detection of the fob.

Ian

I surf also. I just got a "dumb" key made (that I can surf with) and put the smart key in the hatchback. No need to put it in any EMI blocking bag; having it in the back seems to work. I've been doing this for about a year now.

In my area (SoCal), there's been a few cars broken into because surfers would hide their car keys on/behind the tires, etc.

Nhatman":2limnbub said:
I surf also. I just got a "dumb" key made (that I can surf with) and put the smart key in the hatchback. No need to put it in any EMI blocking bag; having it in the back seems to work. I've been doing this for about a year now.

In my area (SoCal), there's been a few cars broken into because surfers would hide their car keys on/behind the tires, etc.

Did you go anyplace special for the dumb key? With the fob in the car, the doors lock okay?

I have one of those combination key safes that realtors hang from doors, which I use when I go surfing. I have only used it with my other car (regular key though) and haven't tried it with my etron yet. However the safe is all metal and I assume it would block the signal, so you might consider trying this route. Plus it's just a convenient way to store your key while surfing.

rfortson":vhzs0bmi said:
Did you go anyplace special for the dumb key? With the fob in the car, the doors lock okay?

I went to a key cutting place that does car keys. It cost something like $20, if I remember correctly. I would put the fob in the back of the car (trunk area), then use my dumb key on the driver door to lock the car. I would always double-check to see if I could open the hatch before leaving. I've done this for about a year (a total of 50+ times) without a problem.

Nhatman":epwswyiv said:
rfortson":epwswyiv said:

I went to a key cutting place that does car keys. It cost something like $20, if I remember correctly. I would put the fob in the back of the car (trunk area), then use my dumb key on the driver door to lock the car. I would always double-check to see if I could open the hatch before leaving. I've done this for about a year (a total of 50+ times) without a problem.

Sounds like a pretty nifty solution, but just to be clear, do you leave the hatch unlocked all the time? If so, doesn't that put your car at risk?

Nhatman":3atmb9zu said:

My local Audi dealer wont copy keys, and is only able to provide an entire keyfob for $350 CAD. I took the key to a standard store that copies keys and they stated they cannot replicate laser cut keys.

Was your copy laser cut, or done via grinding?

Bloodrush":1j96ca77 said:
My local Audi dealer wont copy keys, and is only able to provide an entire keyfob for $350 CAD. I took the key to a standard store that copies keys and they stated they cannot replicate laser cut keys.

Was your copy laser cut, or done via grinding?

I just went to a regular car alarm/key place. The machine was very small (almost the size of a loaf of bread). I believe it was a grinder, like a Dremel tip. The dumb key blank is probably a more mild steel allowing them to cut it easier (this is a total guess on my part).

BrockFry":b2qttsdt said:
Sounds like a pretty nifty solution, but just to be clear, do you leave the hatch unlocked all the time? If so, doesn't that put your car at risk?

The hatch is also locked. I put the FOB in the trunk area, close the hatchback, go to the driver door and use the dumb key to lock the car which locks everything including the hatch. I always pull on the car handle and the hatchback to double check before leaving. It has always worked.

I found out that the car will lock with the key fob inside. It will first give you a warning then lock on the second try. You can then take a dumb key with you into the water and use it to unlock the car when done.

I've tried one place (hardware store) for a dumb key, but it didn't work. At least they cut it and let me try it before charging me, so nothing lost on my end. I'll hit up a locksmith one day.

Back