EXTENSION CORD TO CHARGE ETRON??

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellie67

Hi,
I am considering trading in my A3 for the Etron. I do not have a garage and park in a driveway. The outlet is too far from the car to charge. Does anyone have thoughts about using an extension cord? Is it okay? Does it have to be a specific type of extension cord? (My apologies but I am slightly clueless and just trying to figure it all out!)

I can't answer for the e-tron as I have not tried to charge it through an extension cable.

However. my previous Chevy Volt could detect an extension cable and would not charge.

I tried using an extension cord but it didn't work. I don't remember if it was a 25ft cord or a longer one, but it was a heavy gauge cord (at least 12 gauge).

I made one using a dryer cable and then outlet for 6-50, all homedepot parts. This was only 6 feet, but works. I would image if the charger detects too much resistance (from longer cable) then it'll shut down instead of light the cable on fire.

Speaking as someone who knows electrical distribution, it shouldn't make a difference to the charger if there is 5 feet of wire in the wall to the outlet then 15 feet of cable from the outlet to the charger, or 20 feet of wire in the wall - as long as it's properly rated. You would want to get 12AWG for 120v extensions with hospital grade ends, or for 240v you could try and find a welder extension cable, of about 8AWG. Quality plugs will make a big difference, but you should be aware of how far the run from your panel to socket is before you consider an extension. Line loss on 12AWG is almost negligible under 100 feet, and for 8AWG about 200 feet.

I'm using a 20' ext cord, not sure but 12/14 gauge. Its connected to the Audi supplied charger. Its been working fine for months with no issues. I'm plugged into 120v/15A.

khs604":2nk3d5u5 said:
I'm using a 20' ext cord, not sure but 12/14 gauge. Its connected to the Audi supplied charger. Its been working fine for months with no issues. I'm plugged into 120v/15A.

That's what I used for the first couple of weeks with no issues, and then I finished my 240v setup (with no extension.)

My service dept said to use a 12-3 gauge and get as short as possible to connect to 110 outlet. I found a 15' on amazon. It's working fine, not even the slightest bit warm.

Yeah - no issue here on a 25ft. 12/3 extension cable.
(Tried with your typical 14g extension, even a shorter one like 8ft - Audi charger rejected it.)

Back