Flat bottom steering wheel.

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferster

Hey all,

Does anyone know if you can get the flat bottom (S-Line) steering wheel for the 2017 Technik model in Canada? I have a factory order, but it looks like the circular one.

Thanks in advance!

Ferster

I can't help with your Canada question, but the flat bottom steering wheel was one of the factors that pushed me to order the sport package with my US spec 2017 e-tron. I'm happy I did. Mine does not have any S-Line badges though.

When I received mine, I asked about the flat bottom wheel and they said it was not available due to the heated stearing package. No paddles either.

Ferster":c0wmi5f2 said:
Hey all,

Does anyone know if you can get the flat bottom (S-Line) steering wheel for the 2017 Technik model in Canada? I have a factory order, but it looks like the circular one.

Thanks in advance!

Ferster

I would've loved to have the flat bottom steering wheel, but it wasn't an option in 2016. It doesn't seem to be an option on the Audi.ca config tool.
The Autoshow is coming soon (in Toronto), I suppose I could ask to see if it's an option.
At least the 2017's get the virtual cockpit which looks awesome!

Jc12345":hn90qzul said:
When I received mine, I asked about the flat bottom wheel and they said it was not available due to the heated stearing package. No paddles either.

Are you in Canada? I test drove an e-tron with paddles when I was shopping last summer. All these different variations the car companies put out seem random to me.

Senseless market research is usually what causes discrepancies in trim levels between two so similar markets as the US and Canada. For example, we only get two trim lines and the US gets three. Some options are standard in Canada such as heated seats and mirrors (even a modestly priced Kia will come with these options here!) The Sport package for the e-tron consists of just the wheels and seats in Canada, and the roof spoiler is included in the higher Technik trim (Prestige in the US) whereas it's a $300 option for Americans. We only pay C$1100 for the Sport package and the US pays an equivalent C$1800 but gains the (not heated!) flat-bottom steering wheel.

I'd love to have the equivalent options in Canada, but considering that a fully loaded e-tron is C$65,000 in America and the almost identical car in Canada is C$50,000....well, you don't need to be a math genius to see how that makes sense (and that's before any incentives!)

So I asked my dealer if I could have the flat-bottom steering wheel installed at the factory. He said it wasn't possible and the reason might be that they didn't crash test it for the Canadian market. I doubt that though since the US crash test usually suffices for Canadian market and they have the flat bottom there. I'm going to email audi and see if I can turn some screws at corporate to get myself the only flat bottom steering e-tron in Canada :)

Final word on steering wheels in Canada from AudiTalk:

Progressiv trim gets the standard leather wheel without heat and with paddle shift

Technik trim gets the standard leather wheel with heat and without paddle shift

Flat bottom is not available on any e-tron in Canada.

It's a shame they can't have both paddles and heat, or at least a choice, when you upgrade to a more expensive package - and especially the sport package!

So, if anyone wants to trade their flat bottom wheel for a heated regular one, I'm open :)

Wow, no paddles! I was told in the local dealership they came on the 2017 Technik model. Apart from the Virtual Cockpit and USB Ports, it doesn't make sense to pay the premium for the new model.

Am I right that the 2016 model doesn't have USB ports or any other type of phone connection?

Don't know how they were equipped in Canada, but my 2016 Premium in the USA has a single USB and a proprietary media device port under the armrest in the console. My car came with an Apple lightning cable for the proprietary port, and I have an older Apple dock cable that I kept from the 2010 Golf TDI that works there as well. If needed I can get one with micro-USB fro VW or Audi.

arne":1kz8dn28 said:
Don't know how they were equipped in Canada, but my 2016 Premium in the USA has a single USB and a proprietary media device port under the armrest in the console. My car came with an Apple lightning cable for the proprietary port, and I have an older Apple dock cable that I kept from the 2010 Golf TDI that works there as well. If needed I can get one with micro-USB fro VW or Audi.

Same for me. Of course, in addition to what you listed, there's always bluetooth.

Does anyone who has the 2017 with Carplay and extra USB ports think it's worth it if compared to the 2016 Technik model with paddles. Seems like those with 2016 are a bit meh!

I have a 2017 on order which is arriving in April, but have been offered a 2016 Technik with 1,900 kms on the clock. When I tested the 2016 model I found the paddles and regen braking really useful and am loathed to lose them.

Thanks!

The 2017 still has the ability to downshift using the centre console shifter... You simply slide the shifter to the right and use that to change gears like you would with paddles....same as my 2010 Golf!

Back