Ex-TDI owner

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeimosEV

Hello, Ill be taking delivery of a new Silver 2016 e-Tron tomorrow. Really looking forward to driving it. I also have to return my TDI in February but got a great deal on the outgoing 2016.

We bought our e-tron in September, turned in the TDI a couple weeks ago. For our uses, the Audi is a better choice for eco-friendliness than the TDI was, or even what it would have been had they not fudged the emissions. We like it a lot.

Our Golf TDi gets the buyback end of Feb; got our E-Tron today to capitalize on the right car on the lot, the deal and remaining 0% finance program from the dealer.

Totally agree; car is real nice, local driving is expected to be gas-free. Such a bummer about the whole TDi sham - VW ticked us off good, but did enjoy how the car drove and now we have an even better 'golf'

Another ex-TDI owner. Turned in my Jetta Sportwagen in early December. I miss it, but I'm really enjoying the e-tron. Stinks that VW did this, but I'm not complaining about getting basically what I paid 5 years ago for a fun car that I drove for 5 years/60k miles. My wife is keeping her Jetta Sedan TDI (6MT), which is fine by me since her car gets great highway mileage, better than the e-tron. Plus, the next hurricane evacuation will be easier since we won't be looking for gas.

rfortson":s88i2gj1 said:
Another ex-TDI owner. Turned in my Jetta Sportwagen in early December. I miss it, but I'm really enjoying the e-tron. Stinks that VW did this, but I'm not complaining about getting basically what I paid 5 years ago for a fun car that I drove for 5 years/60k miles. My wife is keeping her Jetta Sedan TDI (6MT), which is fine by me since her car gets great highway mileage, better than the e-tron. Plus, the next hurricane evacuation will be easier since we won't be looking for gas.

From everything I've read the e-tron gets better mileage than the TDIs ever could. What kind of numbers are you getting?

srwhitney":5iiqygeq said:
From everything I've read the e-tron gets better mileage than the TDIs ever could. What kind of numbers are you getting?
On he freeway, our Golf TDI got 45-48 mpg regularly. Same trip in hybrid hold in the Audi gives 40-42 at best. So for strictly highway miles, the TDIs were better. Of course, in town we now use no fuel on our predominantly short trips, while the Golf got 32. So overall we are ahead.

arne":319u7hkg said:
srwhitney":319u7hkg said:
On he freeway, our Golf TDI got 45-48 mpg regularly. Same trip in hybrid hold in the Audi gives 40-42 at best. So for strictly highway miles, the TDIs were better. Of course, in town we now use no fuel on our predominantly short trips, while the Golf got 32. So overall we are ahead.

Best I ever got from my JSW was 37mpg on a highway trip. I averaged ~32mpg long term. For my e-tron, I get 35mpg on highway, and city depends on how long I can before longer trips. Right now, my Fuelly shows 53mpg overall. Best tank so far was 160mpg. I've been running for about 5 weeks or more on this current tank, so I suspect I'll get even better. It all depends on how much you can take advantage of the electric range.

arne":2ikqzhad said:
srwhitney":2ikqzhad said:

To play devils advocate, my trip computer would over exaggerate actual mpg by up to 6mpg. More than any other car Ive ever owned. So while I miss my display telling me that I was making 46mpg, it was never much more than 40mpg with the calculator. That being said, we will have to see if the e-tron engages in the same level of exaggeration.

Rpgonzalez":2ovynb45 said:
arne":2ovynb45 said:
srwhitney":2ovynb45 said:

To play devils advocate, my trip computer would over exaggerate actual mpg by up to 6mpg. More than any other car Ive ever owned. So while I miss my display telling me that I was making 46mpg, it was never much more than 40mpg with the calculator. That being said, we will have to see if the e-tron engages in the same level of exaggeration.

Yeah, all my mileage figures are calculated by hand. I've never seen a mileage calculator in any of my cars that was anywhere close to accurate.

rfortson":tamzse30 said:
Yeah, all my mileage figures are calculated by hand. I've never seen a mileage calculator in any of my cars that was anywhere close to accurate.
Too lazy to do the math myself anymore. I use Fuelly.com and their app on my iPhone. I agree that most on board mileage are inaccurate.

arne":kml5dgjn said:
rfortson":kml5dgjn said:
Too lazy to do the math myself anymore. I use Fuelly.com and their app on my iPhone. I agree that most on board mileage are inaccurate.

I consider Fuelly to be "by hand". It's what I use.

Back