Some newbie questions - 2017 e-tron

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdtom

Hi everyone,

I picked up a lease special on a 2017 Premium (so, base model).

Couple things off the bat:
1) Bluetooth; just behaving weird..
- media seems to work, phone audio stays on phone, phone contacts / text messages work fine
- under bluetooth settings, there is a 'input level' volume knob but it won't turn? locked down to 'min' ? Would like to boost the bluetooth slightly if possible

2) I can't find anything useful about the pop up MMI screen. Without nav, and also it doesn't even show the hybrid drive animations on the drive select; just the 4 modes. Everything else is concisely captures over on the analog gauge cluster screen. Don't suppose there's a way to default it down and i have to ask it to come up? or show anything interesting to keep an eye on / trip data / equalizer / clock ? :) I'm surprised there's a trim level required just to show the hybrid drive stuff over there, but oh well, no biggie.

3) Am I just SOL as far as scheduling my charger? I don't have any options on MMI screen; and I seriously doubt my trim has the e-tron connect stuff (that's never called out anywhere in the literature, just the audi connect which I assume is the same and requires premium plus I think). So, those are the only two options for setting up off peak charging, etc i can find in the manual. So, can i assume the 'scheduled charging' button on the front doesn't do anything?

All in all, i like it.. it was this or one of the new honda civic hatchbacks... this is nicer plus gets me into the Carpool lane so it'll do :)

Ok update from dealership visit. They confirmed the stripped down display is normal.

And then it got interesting as the 'technologist' that helped me the other night tried to help me again but he was convinced that there was no e-tron connect on base model and that I simply could not use the charge scheduling. So then I challenged him what the schedule button on the grill did if that was the case. That prompted him to ask someone else and thankfully that guy was more knowledgeable and agreed that I did have e-tron connect and further checked to see if my sales guy had activated it / he didn't. So I got it activated and waiting on PIN code from Verizon.

I'm having the same issue regarding scheduled charging on my 2016 etron premium (base model). I also live in San Diego, so if you could direct me to the dealership and the person who helped you, I'd appreciate it.

The sales people at the dealership I bought mine from knew very little about the etron.

@sdtom -

sdtom":299tyrf2 said:
2) I can't find anything useful about the pop up MMI screen. Without nav, and also it doesn't even show the hybrid drive animations on the drive select; just the 4 modes. Everything else is concisely captures over on the analog gauge cluster screen. Don't suppose there's a way to default it down and i have to ask it to come up? or show anything interesting to keep an eye on / trip data / equalizer / clock ? :) I'm surprised there's a trim level required just to show the hybrid drive stuff over there, but oh well, no biggie.

Your experience on the MMI screen mirrors exactly how my 2016 (Premium) works. There is no way to default the MMI to the lowered position. You have to remember to manually take care of it every time you start up. Also, if you are using your phone for directions/nav and have it linked via Bluetooth to the audio systems, the screen will pop up when the phone 'speaks' an upcoming turn and then lower itself. Quite distracting. User interface refinement doesn't seem to be an Audi strength.

sdtom":299tyrf2 said:
3) Am I just SOL as far as scheduling my charger? I don't have any options on MMI screen; and I seriously doubt my trim has the e-tron connect stuff (that's never called out anywhere in the literature, just the audi connect which I assume is the same and requires premium plus I think). So, those are the only two options for setting up off peak charging, etc i can find in the manual. So, can i assume the 'scheduled charging' button on the front doesn't do anything?

You should eventually be able to schedule charging. Audi Connect does work on Premiums (at least on 2016 e-trons). It took Audi and Verizon (the data provider for US enabled Audi Connect) a couple of days to get things working for me. The enabling e-mail with the magic PIN came from Audi, not Verizon. If Audi can't make things work at all, some home chargers can be scheduled (ChargePoint is one). As a last resort, Ubiquity's mFi AC controller and app can schedule use of a 110 outlet.

sdtom":zz2nrrhf said:
Ok update from dealership visit. They confirmed the stripped down display is normal.

And then it got interesting as the 'technologist' that helped me the other night tried to help me again but he was convinced that there was no e-tron connect on base model and that I simply could not use the charge scheduling. So then I challenged him what the schedule button on the grill did if that was the case. That prompted him to ask someone else and thankfully that guy was more knowledgeable and agreed that I did have e-tron connect and further checked to see if my sales guy had activated it / he didn't. So I got it activated and waiting on PIN code from Verizon.

I have a 2016 Premium Plus without navigation. The MMI screen is pretty much just for radio/media function. There are some car system settings that you can only do in the MMI like rain sensors, climate auto recirculation, light settings, sound, etc. For e-trons without the tech/navi package, you can only use scheduling using the e-tron connect app. It was hell trying to set it up. I was one of the first ones to get their car in SoCal earlier in January this year. However, once you set the schedule, you can pretty much ignore using the app. It's included feature in all trim levels.

The only thing that I hear is different is 2017 models lost the ability to "Charge" with gasoline engine.

-Ben

Wow, just wasted 30 mins checking every single option in the 'infotainment' to see where my 'set charge timer' option was that is detailed in the manual (p.112 - US model,Premium). FFS! Audi could have done a better job of marking that section as "not applicable to Premium models"!!! Or - better yet, don't artificially knobble the software to penalize folks who buy the base trim!! Seriously, why would they make this an option only on high end models?!? I love the car but as my first Audi I'm getting pretty sick of finding features that are expensive options on Audi's that were standard on my base VW!! *rant over*
(BTW - thank you Ben for explaining this better than the manual does, and I guess I'll have to wait until my dealer figures out Audi Connect before I can schedule charging...)

I agree on the crippled software on premium models. VW offers CarPlay and Android as standard. On the "upscale" Audi cousin, it's available only as part of the $3k tech package.

That sucks. :roll:

SDTom - can you provide some contact info for the "more knowledgeable person" who helped you get your Premium connected to Audi Connect? I'm getting the same answer from Audi Concord up here in the Bay Area regarding my 2018 Premium e-tron and I'd really like to get scheduled charging and other Connect features.

Keep pressing to get the Audi etron app. I find it very useful, not just for charging. You can check remotely if you locked your car, where you parked, and the charge level, etc. One of the things I like best is setting the climate control to pre-condition the cabin before you get in. You SoCal folks have a mild climate but those Santa Ana winds should be kicking up soon and that brings you some serious heat and you might appreciate this feature.

An interesting fact is that the app doesn’t require a subscription to the Audi connection plans. The basic, free service after the trial period ends also maintains communication with the app.

If you think Calif dealers are not knowledgeable, imagine those here in the Midwest where there no incentives. The good news is that Audi is committed to electric cars. Have you all read about the new etron? It’s out of my price range, but what a car! Give up on dealers and call Audi.

Back