motor/engine lugging at idle speeds?

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgenc

I've had my US etron for about a week and 500 miles.

I have noticed that when stopped and I release the brake, but do not press the throttle, the car will move forward whether the electric motor or gas engine is engaged. And when it does so, at this idle speed without throttle, the car lugs (lurches) slightly as it tries to move forward... much like you would have in a manual transmission car where you tried to move in a high gear from a dead stop.

Has anyone else noticed this? Trying to figure out if it's a feature or a bug :)

I have noticed it as well. It doesn't happen every time but when it does it's noticeable. I've also noticed in hybrid mode, if stopped on a hill, the car rolls back a bit if you take your foot off the break. I assume it's because the ICE isn't engaged to roll it forward.

Interesting.

I'm also noticing that it's intermittent and not necessarily just at idle speeds. And with both the electric motor and gas engine. It seems like the computer is leaving the transmission in a higher gear than it should be.

I just noticed it this weekend. I thought it was some issue with the gas engine, but it did it in EV mode as well. Only noticeable while at low speeds with foot off pedal or when turning.

It happens to me quite a bit. Seems to be getting worse and is most noticeable when the car is creeping, with my foot feathering the brake. If it's particularly bad, there is a knocking sound from the car that sounds like a bad valve lifter (it isn't). I have a video I took of this happening for the next time I go in.

I took the car to the dealer, drove around with the service manager for a half hour, and couldn't reproduce it. Figures.

Based on what I've read on similar problems with Audis, it seems like it may be a bad mechatronic unit in the gearbox. It is definitely transmission related. And not good.

Still trying to figure out how to consistently reproduce it. It can happen when cold or warm, engine or motor, different ambient temps.

I noticed this on my drive home from picking up this weekend. Was stuck in LA traffic forever. I have an M3 with a DCT and it almost feels like when I am driving it. At low speeds it is like the transmission is kicking in or something like that...Tough to explain but I think it has something to do with the DCT. I am not a mechanic, just saying how it feels at the idle and low speeds

I'm at 7000 miles. Still happening though less frequently. Dealer has still said they couldn't reproduce it.

I had this happen a few times as well. Most noticeable when I was stopped going uphill. I'm postulating its happening when the battery is very low. It seems like the car uses the EV motor to start moving. I also can't reliably reproduce it yet.

I think you all are describing the "engine idle off" (best way I can say it).

When there is idle speeds, no acceleration, or stopping, the engine turns off.

When you start up and get going again, the engine turns back on.

Take a look at the little light just below the center of the powerband/tachometer needle. You should notice this jerking to coincide with the light turning off/on.

If you keep the car in "charge battery" mode, you should not feel it nearly as often.

Back