Charging capacities

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruintoo

To those that are able to gauge your charging levels (either using your own charger or public charging stations), what is the maximum amount of charge in kWh have you been able to put in your e-tron when the estimated range goes to zero? I have only been able to charge anywhere between 6.5 to 6.9 kWh using the ChargePoint station at work. I thought useable capacity for the battery is 7.7 kWh out of total 8.8 kWh?

bruintoo":29fzox0t said:
To those that are able to gauge your charging levels (either using your own charger or public charging stations), what is the maximum amount of charge in kWh have you been able to put in your e-tron when the estimated range goes to zero? I have only been able to charge anywhere between 6.5 to 6.9 kWh using the ChargePoint station at work. I thought useable capacity for the battery is 7.7 kWh out of total 8.8 kWh?
In the US, the usable capacity is 6.0kWh; I think this is due to the difference in US emissions. You're seeing 6.5 - 6.9 kWh due to ~10% efficiency lost due to charging or pre-conditioning.

I found this from Audi's Online Magazine: http://audi-encounter.com/magazine/tech ... e-volt-age
The lithium-ion battery in the Audi A3 Sportback e-tron stores 8.8 kWh of energy, of which 6.2 kWh, i.e. more than 70 percent, are available for use. Depending on the charge condition, it has a tension of between 280 and 390 volts. The battery consists of 96 prismatic cells grouped into eight modules of twelve cells each. Including the electronic components – the battery management controller and the battery junction box – the battery system weighs 125 kilograms. The lower part of its casing is made from pressure die-cast aluminum, the upper part from polymer.

I'd pay some real money to chat with an Audi engineer about why they open up 1 kWh less of the battery in NA. Part of me wonders if they noticed higher-than-expected degradation in Europe.

bruintoo":swsue0n1 said:
I found this from Audi's Online Magazine: http://audi-encounter.com/magazine/tech ... e-volt-age
The lithium-ion battery in the Audi A3 Sportback e-tron stores 8.8 kWh of energy, of which 6.2 kWh, i.e. more than 70 percent, are available for use. Depending on the charge condition, it has a tension of between 280 and 390 volts. The battery consists of 96 prismatic cells grouped into eight modules of twelve cells each. Including the electronic components – the battery management controller and the battery junction box – the battery system weighs 125 kilograms. The lower part of its casing is made from pressure die-cast aluminum, the upper part from polymer.

Wow! That's some of the best info on the car I've seen.

> gasoline-driven stationary heating unit

What the hell is that? haha. I've never heard of that in a car. Basically, a gas-powered heater in there somewhere? Seems like a great idea. Probably a lot more efficient at creating heat than turning the engine on. And likely far better than blowing through the entire battery by heating a coil. If it's what it sounds like it is.

> the electric motor, which maintains its maximum torque of 330 Nm in a constant stream virtually from start all the way to around 2,200 rpm

That's as fast as the motor turns? No wonder it's behind a 6-speed tranny!

pkulak":277lj4yj said:
> the electric motor, which maintains its maximum torque of 330 Nm in a constant stream virtually from start all the way to around 2,200 rpm

That's as fast as the motor turns? No wonder it's behind a 6-speed tranny!

What I think they are saying is that electric motor torque is about 330 Nm in the 0-2200 rpm range, then at higher rpm torque gradually decreases.

Auxiliary heating systems for cars are quite common in cold countries. I believe Audi specifies one as an option for the e-tron in some markets.
For more information on how they work, check out the Webasto company's products

Back