8% battery loss in 3 weeks... that sound right?

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garango

I've had my etron now for 3 weeks and the battery only charges to a 23 mile range (from the original 25 miles 3 weeks ago). Sure, I expect battery capacity will drop with time no different than a laptop, but 8% in 3 weeks?

What is everyone else seeing?

When we got our E-Tron about three weeks ago, it indicated a range of 24 miles on a full charge; now the charge indicator maxes out at 20 miles. I'm guessing (other owners please comment on this) that the 24 miles was based on an initial estimate with no data and that as the car gets more use, the range indicator will become more accurate. At least I'm hoping so!

garango":1fxqfxx7 said:
I've had my etron now for 3 weeks and the battery only charges to a 23 mile range (from the original 25 miles 3 weeks ago). Sure, I expect battery capacity will drop with time no different than a laptop, but 8% in 3 weeks?

I think you are mistaking battery charge level with 'estimated range'. With every EV and plug-in hybrid in my experience, estimated range is based on a combination of factors including not only charge level but temperature, driving conditions in the previous several drives, settings of the climate control system (off is best, heating is worst), and driving style.

Some people in the EV world call the 'range' figure the GOM - Guess-O-Meter.

Exactly. And 23-24 EV miles range is good. Try this next time. Drive really cautiously without use of A/C or heater. See if that improves your estimated range. You can also check your trip computer and see how many miles do you typically achieve before the gas engine turns on.

dr61":2jdw4njj said:
garango":2jdw4njj said:

I think you are mistaking battery charge level with 'estimated range'. With every EV and plug-in hybrid in my experience, estimated range is based on a combination of factors including not only charge level but temperature, driving conditions in the previous several drives, settings of the climate control system (off is best, heating is worst), and driving style.

Some people in the EV world call the 'range' figure the GOM - Guess-O-Meter.

As others have pointed out, we are talking about estimated range here. The estimated range can vary based on many factors as pointed out by others. The estimation can also vary considerably throughout a journey, largely due to the "right foot factor" but also due to many of the factors mentioned above in other posts.

Estimated range will always be just that. It may read 12 miles or 33 miles but the reality of it is that you are likely to achieve a range of something in the order of high 20s in mild weather and mid to high 10s in cold (UK) weather.

roger roger... assumed as much, just checking since there next to no literature around e-tron ops.

Cheers

I had similar issue. When I first got the etron, in a full charge, I actually hit 30 miles (or so according the the computer gauge). As of late, on a full charge, it's indicating only 23 miles.

Doing a bit more digging on this; I think Audi calculates the average of how you drive and based on that it displays the maximum mileage you'd get when only using full electric.

I think I'll need to change my driving habit. Albeit, its hard because of that instant torque gratification you get from using electric. :)

It's high speeds that really kill the range.

I was driving around town yesterday evening giving it the beans and enjoying the torque, stupid but fun. But no faster than 40mph.
This morning my full battery range was showing 27miles. I was expecting lower due to my recent enthusiastic driving style!
However the batterty lasted only 23 miles on my commute to work even though I was gentle on the throttle. This is because half of that was at 70mph.

If you drive at a constant 50mph on flat roads in mild weather and no climate control you should get close to a 30mile range. Unfortunately these are not typical conditions, at least not for my journeys.

Latest posts

Back