A3 e-tron efficiency from e-tron connect service

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruintoo

How accurate is the tracked efficiency from the e-tron connect service? My typical commute is 5 days of about 50 miles roundtrip Los Angeles freeway driving with combination of ghetto traffic (110) and bourgie traffic (405).
80-etron_mpkwh_cd8f553b11717bf308fcbbd260f88d4f279a8f8e.png

There seems to be a flaw in how the efficiency is tracked. The calculator counts the total miles - including miles traveled using ICE (gas) divided by battery kWh consumed. So if you took a 50 mile trip that had 30 miles using ICE and 20 miles on EV using 10kWh your efficiency will be reported as 50/10 or 5 mi/kWh whereas in reality it should be 20/10 or 2 mi/kWh.

Correction: the more accurate measurement would be to factor in the EPA estimated value of 33.7 kWh/gallon of gasoline. Assuming that the etron averages about 35 mpg, that's a bit over 1 mi/kWh on gas only driving. On stop-and-go conditions, it may even drop to .75 mi/kWh (25mpg). So for the example above, the efficiency would be = 50 mi/(6.6kwh battery+ 30 kWh for .9 gallons of gas) or 1.33 mi/kWh.

Also the graph is incorrectly showing kWh on the y-axis when it should be mi/kWh.

I have noticed this problem on the phone app as well. My longer trips (EV + gas) always show better efficiency than my shorter all EV trips which is totally incorrect. Frankly I am quite shocked that Audi is messing this up. Or maybe I shouldn't be after VW was found fudging emission results. Now they want you to think that the more you use Gas the more efficient your car will be!

Bruintoo - based on the data from your connect service, you are averaging 25 mi EV range and on your good day, a whopping 33 miles of EV range*. Is that really what you are getting?

If not, the calculation method is flawed as pointed out in the earlier post.

*based on 6.6 kWh charge capacity.

Seems it must be including ICE stats as well. I drove a 100 mile trip in hybrid mode using mostly ICE at highway speeds and my app shows 20 mi/kWh which is obviously impossible to be battery only.

Fully charged from home, I can travel about 16-17 miles in the cold LA mornings before the ICE kicks in. I then further drive either in Hold or Hybrid mode the rest of the way (8-9 miles) for total of 25 miles. In the Hold or Hybrid mode, if you modulate the accelerator pedal slowly and not going past a certain acceleration, you can travel on just EV as indicated by the car graphic screen.

Fully charged from work (which Chargepoint usually indicates 6.5 to 6.6 kWh added), I can travel about 17-20 miles going home before the ICE kicks in. I then travel these rest of the way (5-8 miles) in Hold or Hybrid mode for a total of 25 miles. I usually try to accelerate modestly so I am using only EV during Hold or Hybrid mode.

Just an update:

Yesterday night after topping off charge at work, estimate miles on OBC is 24 miles. Actual miles driven before ICE turned on was 22 miles. The remainder of travel, 5 miles was on Hybrid mode for a total of 27 miles travelled. According to e-tron connect service the average consumption is 4.9 miles/kWh. The automatic A/C was set to 75F.

This morning after topping off charge at home, estimate miles on OBC is 28 miles. Actual miles driven before ICE turned on was 17.8 miles. The automatic A/C was set to 75F.

bruintoo":2gf6qylv said:
Just an update:

Yesterday night after topping off charge at work, estimate miles on OBC is 24 miles. Actual miles driven before ICE turned on was 22 miles. The remainder of travel, 5 miles was on Hybrid mode for a total of 27 miles travelled. According to e-tron connect service the average consumption is 4.9 miles/kWh. The automatic A/C was set to 75F.

This morning after topping off charge at home, estimate miles on OBC is 28 miles. Actual miles driven before ICE turned on was 17.8 miles. The automatic A/C was set to 75F.

Yup, it seems like it is taking the gas miles as though they were EV. 22 miles on 6kWh would be 3.6, not 4.9.

pkulak":wn73q5n9 said:
bruintoo":wn73q5n9 said:
Just an update:

Yup, it seems like it is taking the gas miles as though they were EV. 22 miles on 6kWh would be 3.6, not 4.9.
Maybe it also factors those incremental miles that are EV propelled during Hold/Hybrid mode when one is doing the "pulse and glide" driving - meaning you can see from the energy flow indicator that you are travelling on electric when you don't push the acceletor pedal pass a certain point so that ICE won't engage.

Here's what I know. This morning the estimate miles on OBC was 28 EV miles when I started. It was around 17.8 miles when the ICE kicked on and I put it on Hybrid mode. The total miles travelled is 26 miles. According to the e-tron app average consumption if 4.5 m/kWh. I charged at work with Chargepoint and it said I added 6.586 kWh (and it approximated that it's equivalent to 23 miles added based on 2015 Audi e-tron calculation). The e-tron OBC actually said 25 EV miles.

Back