Audi A3 E-tron Forum

It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Hold vs Hybrid vs EV data collected
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:28 pm
Posts: 36
I commute 33 miles on one charge from Long Beach to Huntington, drive about 50% stoplights/traffic and 50% freeway.

Conclusions:
-Fuel economy is maximized when you use "hold" mode at steady speeds and "EV" mode when in stop and go traffic (avg = 120mpg)
-Fuel economy is minimized during the opposite conditions (avg 90mph)
-Fuel economy keeps dropping significantly after a 35 mile commute; expect to lose about 25%+ mpg for every 10 miles of commute over 35 miles up to about 60 miles where it seems you lose the benefit of the plug-in feature (data not included)
-Traffic patterns wreck havoc on day to day numbers when trying to maximize mpg.
-Hybrid mode is the most predictable and consistent, albeit not most efficient


You can peruse the data of you like:

https://hbuhsdedu-my.sharepoint.com/personal/rgonzalez_hbuhsd_edu/_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?docid=0c111c844b62a457c9decef92eecd5e3d&authkey=AYg0M4RewNGWYfr4I85uhNQ

[/braindump]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hold vs Hybrid vs EV data collected
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:39 pm
Posts: 175
Rpgonzalez wrote:
I commute 33 miles on one charge from Long Beach to Huntington, drive about 50% stoplights/traffic and 50% freeway.

Conclusions:
-Fuel economy is maximized when you use "hold" mode at steady speeds and "EV" mode when in stop and go traffic (avg = 120mpg)
-Fuel economy is minimized during the opposite conditions (avg 90mph)
-Fuel economy keeps dropping significantly after a 35 mile commute; expect to lose about 25%+ mpg for every 10 miles of commute over 35 miles up to about 60 miles where it seems you lose the benefit of the plug-in feature (data not included)
-Traffic patterns wreck havoc on day to day numbers when trying to maximize mpg.
-Hybrid mode is the most predictable and consistent, albeit not most efficient


You can peruse the data of you like:

https://hbuhsdedu-my.sharepoint.com/personal/rgonzalez_hbuhsd_edu/_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?docid=0c111c844b62a457c9decef92eecd5e3d&authkey=AYg0M4RewNGWYfr4I85uhNQ

[/braindump]


Is your MPG from the on-board computer data or manually calculated gallons consume from miles travelled? I commute from LB to DTLA and use "hybrid" mode.
-Ben


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hold vs Hybrid vs EV data collected
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:48 am
Posts: 56
Why would you "lose" the benefit of the EV range after a certain amount of time? It's obviously better if you charge more frequently but it's still contributing to a low fuel consumption overall.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hold vs Hybrid vs EV data collected
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:28 pm
Posts: 36
srwhitney wrote:
Why would you "lose" the benefit of the EV range after a certain amount of time? It's obviously better if you charge more frequently but it's still contributing to a low fuel consumption overall.


It has been noted on occasion that the e-tron is not terribly efficient as a gas-only vehicle. If you never charge the vehicle, you may witness about 35-40mpg. At this point, it doenst make sense to a lot of people to purchase this car when an A3 sedan could accomplish about the same mpg.

With a 35 mile commute, the car borders on being efficient enough to warrant the added cost (over a TDI, which is what Ive been driving for a decade). Another member here gets about 45-50mpg for a 50 mile commute, and I would say that this is the break even point.

After a certain amount of miles on a single commute, the contribution that the battery makes towards saving gas diminishes. Why pay an $8000 premium to save 5mpg?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hold vs Hybrid vs EV data collected
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:42 pm
Posts: 177
I agree. If you can't charge and make use of the EV mode, my recommendation might be to buy a Jetta with the same 1.4 TSI engine for probably half the cost of the e-tron. I seriously considered that as an alternative, because I feared the EV range might not be enough to justify the additional cost. As it turns out, my daily needs have been almost completely covered by EV range, so the e-tron makes huge sense for me. That won't be true for everyone.

_________________
- Arne
'16 e-tron Premium w/Nav, Scuba Blue, R8-style wheels
'84 911 Carrera Coupe


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hold vs Hybrid vs EV data collected
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:39 pm
Posts: 175
Rpgonzalez wrote:
srwhitney wrote:
Why would you "lose" the benefit of the EV range after a certain amount of time? It's obviously better if you charge more frequently but it's still contributing to a low fuel consumption overall.


It has been noted on occasion that the e-tron is not terribly efficient as a gas-only vehicle. If you never charge the vehicle, you may witness about 35-40mpg. At this point, it doenst make sense to a lot of people to purchase this car when an A3 sedan could accomplish about the same mpg.

With a 35 mile commute, the car borders on being efficient enough to warrant the added cost (over a TDI, which is what Ive been driving for a decade). Another member here gets about 45-50mpg for a 50 mile commute, and I would say that this is the break even point.

After a certain amount of miles on a single commute, the contribution that the battery makes towards saving gas diminishes. Why pay an $8000 premium to save 5mpg?


There is also the benefit of HOV privileges! I already save lots of money by not paying the FASTRAK charges which can cost up to $16 one way from Carson to DTLA!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hold vs Hybrid vs EV data collected
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:46 pm
Posts: 8
bruintoo wrote:
There is also the benefit of HOV privileges! I already save lots of money by not paying the FASTRAK charges which can cost up to $16 one way from Carson to DTLA!


Completely agree. HOV privileges = time saved = value.

I bought a green HOV sticker. Attached to it is a pretty nice Audi.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hold vs Hybrid vs EV data collected
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:48 am
Posts: 56
It's also the only small hatch that Audi makes. I mean, it's about as fast as a Mk6 GTI, so there's that too. A GTI isn't that much cheaper today either


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hold vs Hybrid vs EV data collected
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:28 pm
Posts: 36
srwhitney wrote:
It's also the only small hatch that Audi makes. I mean, it's about as fast as a Mk6 GTI, so there's that too. A GTI isn't that much cheaper today either


True. To be my own devils advocate, I really wanted an 8V sportback too, performance is similar to an A3 sedan and after federal and CA state rebates I basically paid about $1000 for the hybrid powertrain. That is a pretty reasonable cost for the convenience the HOV sticker has gotten me...so alternatively you could say that the e-tron breaks even. So srwhitney you are correct, as long as you are plugging it in and gaining *some* mpg gain, then you are not "losing" the benefit of the EV powertrain.

But I was originally posting from the perspective of saving money on fuel/energy, and that wont happen if your commute is 60 miles per day per charge. (or if you spend more than 20-30cents/kwh for that matter)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
cron
© Audi A3 E-tron Forum - part of the MyElectricCarForums.com Group