Wall charger for US etron

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdvolkjr

My audi dealer seems confused about the wall charger for the etron in the US. They sent me to a solar company (that had no idea what type of wall charger to use) and to Bosch (who just called up a local electrician). Does anyone know if there is a wall mounted charger and where to get an install manual so I can choose my own electrician to install?

I have seen a neat and pretty receptacle for the charging box provided with the car. Audi should be able to have it for you. It just hold the box it a fancy manner.

E-tron%20charging%20station.jpg

You could buy 3rd party wall mount charger... Look for your local EV association, they should know where to find one, they may even have deals on somes.

HCS-60_300x300.png

But ultimately, all you need is an additional nema (dryer) outlet. Any electrician will be able to help you.

ibcGetAttachment.jsp

Where do I start? That cabinet is a shell that can house the charger that is included with every e-tron. NO ONE KNOWS WHO IS SELLING THEM AND AT WHAT PRICE. A call to Audi USA told me to call Bosch. I called Bosch and they said it is sold by Audi. Everybody is clueless including Audi headquarters and its network of dealers.

As far as outlet, you can use a regular outlet. However, to minimize charging time to as little as 2 hours and 15 minutes, you will need 240V 20Amp NEMA 6-50 outlet. The outlet pictured below is the WRONG outlet for the Audi charger. Again you need a NEMA 6-50 (Google it). We have an electric dryer connected to an electrical box with spare breaker space. I installed a dedicated 20AMP breaker specifically for this NEMA 6-50 outlet.

What you need is the Audi part number. I'll try and get hold of it over here, assuming that it would be suitable for all markets. I picked up a 16A single phase (IEC 60309) power cable for the Audi EVSE so that I could use a 16A supply in my garage. Audi supply the three phase variant as well as the normal domestic 13A plug variant as standard in the UK.

Out of interest, what cables come with the Audi EVSE in North America?

The input cable to the EVSE has a socket like the one shown below, providing for both low and high(er) current inputs.

There is a restive element incorporated into the "Link" shown above:

16A 2P + E Blue commando plug (IEC-60309) Link resistance = 1.195k ohm
16A 3P + N + E Red commando plug (IEC-60309) Link resistance = 1.195k ohm
13A 2P + E Standard UK 13A Plug (BS 1363/A) Link resistance = 2.69k ohm

This is believed to be the factor which will determine whether the Audi Charging system limits its input to 10A or 16A (European version)

Here in Canada my Audi charger (EVSE) came with 2 cables, the standard 120v Nema 5-15, and a 240v Nema 6-50P (not a dryer plug, this has 2 hot and 1 ground, no neutral). The Audi EVSE is rated for 16 Amps and I have installed a Nema 6-50R with a 20 Amp breaker and it's working great. Charges from empty to full in about 2 hours. interestingly the EVSE has 2 modes 50% and 100% and both settings will charge the car in about the same time ?

Regarding the Audi Wallbox, I asked the dealer several weeks ago but so far they haven't been able to find a part number for me... Weird since they have one installed in their repair bay.

Thanks for the replies. My experience was Audi sent me to Bosch, Bosch sent me to a local electrician. I know a master electrician who I trust to charge me a fair price that I'd like to use rather than the local electrician they selected. He looked at the posts here and is going to quote me to do the job.

Anyone had luck buying the wall panel or recommend a 3rd party wall charger?

mdvolkjr":p23tsgjw said:
Thanks for the replies. My experience was Audi sent me to Bosch, Bosch sent me to a local electrician. I know a master electrician who I trust to charge me a fair price that I'd like to use rather than the local electrician they selected. He looked at the posts here and is going to quote me to do the job.

Here's my setup. I have a dedicated 220/240V 20Amp line to this NEMA 6-50 outlet:

80-img_9235_ba2c0d6190ea78994627c518d5d45c2d447cdedb.jpg

80-img_9233_397d9e95af7779234c178162b7452d837351f45f.jpg

Here's the Audi charger just laying there:
80-img_9234_fa863a24500d65dae4780473706404d70f325536.jpg

Looks good. I am having the plus installed and just a small shelf to keep the portable charger off the ground.

bruintoo":1qtw3yoj said:
mdvolkjr":1qtw3yoj said:

Here's my setup. I have a dedicated 220/240V 20Amp line to this NEMA 6-50 outlet:

80-img_9233_397d9e95af7779234c178162b7452d837351f45f.jpg

Here's the Audi charger just laying there:
80-img_9234_fa863a24500d65dae4780473706404d70f325536.jpg

Only unit avalaible seems to be in Moscow... But at last we got a part number!

#12 seems to be really interesting as well. Much smaller cabling option to carry around!

Yes, #12 a more portable OEM EVSE solution looks interesting. Cost? About €590.
Part number 12E971675AL

I have a feeling that this unit is similar to what VW provide for their GTE, but stand to be corrected. Maybe also as an option.

mdvolkjr":2ne5ghvj said:

I like your setup but I am curious. Is this up to electrical code? You have a 20amp breaker tied to a outlet that's intended for 50amp. Obviously it wouldn't be able to but I'm just wondering if this is "OK" (because a future home owner doesn't realize what it is). I have a really long run from my breaker box to my garage (50feet) and I assumed you needed to treat the outlet as 50amp and use appropriate cabling/breakers. Just curious.

vwdriver":3iio6zrl said:
mdvolkjr":3iio6zrl said:

I like your setup but I am curious. Is this up to electrical code? You have a 20amp breaker tied to a outlet that's intended for 50amp. Obviously it wouldn't be able to but I'm just wondering if this is "OK" (because a future home owner doesn't realize what it is). I have a really long run from my breaker box to my garage (50feet) and I assumed you needed to treat the outlet as 50amp and use appropriate cabling/breakers. Just curious.

It is up to electrical code assuming the wiring between the breaker and the outlet is rated for 20A. It is against code to have a 50 amp breaker on a 20 amp outlet but the opposite is fine. Yes, a future home owner may not realize it's only a 20 amp circuit, but the worst thing that would happen to them is the breaker would trip if they plug something that draws more than 20 amps into the outlet.

rmcfarlan":37y71x24 said:
vwdriver":37y71x24 said:
mdvolkjr":37y71x24 said:

It is up to electrical code assuming the wiring between the breaker and the outlet is rated for 20A. It is against code to have a 50 amp breaker on a 20 amp outlet but the opposite is fine. Yes, a future home owner may not realize it's only a 20 amp circuit, but the worst thing that would happen to them is the breaker would trip if they plug something that draws more than 20 amps into the outlet.

Yes. What he ^^^ said.

I just drove my e-tron home (in the SF Bay area) and have been twiddling with the charger, cables, etc., as I'll have to do an outdoor solution too. If I had a long #5 cable (the 7.5 meter one) then I can keep the charger in the garage and run it to the driveway no problem.

http://etka.cc/audi/part_single/catalog ... 0934#sec_5

Until I can find that #5 cable here in the US (will check with Audi parts on Monday), can anybody confirm if the charger will die being outdoors without the cabinet... will it survive in the rain?

Cheers

that looks spectacular! I'll see what the dealer tells me price-wise then compare to this.

Thanks!!!

looks like I'll explore the extension option... the long cable from Audi parts is $686!!! Only 1 available in the US right now, in NJ FWIW.

Back