Maintenance costs (US)

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OmgWtf

I’m considering buying a 2017 e-tron with 30k miles. Can anyone give a ballpark figure for typical annual routine maintenance in the US? I am having a hard time finding info about the vehicle and the dealer is not an Audi dealer and knows less about the car than I do. I’m worried about taking on a vehicle that might end up being very costly.

OmgWtf":2xgogj6t said:
I’m considering buying a 2017 e-tron with 30k miles. Can anyone give a ballpark figure for typical annual routine maintenance in the US? I am having a hard time finding info about the vehicle and the dealer is not an Audi dealer and knows less about the car than I do. I’m worried about taking on a vehicle that might end up being very costly.

I purchased a 2017 with about 20K in 2020. One nice surprise I had was that the previous owner bought AudiCare that covered the 10,20,30,40,50K services. They had already done 10-30, and I have had 40-50 done for no cost. So maybe call your local Audi dealer with the VIN and see if it might have some service left on it.

I plan on being religious about having the recommended service done since it has been like that since day 1; my next service is the 60K and I'm probably going to purchase the AudiCare package for the 60/70K service. $879 total for those 2 services. The 40/50K Audicare is the same price.

Don't know about the US, but been told I am due for a 5 year timing belt change at the cost of about £700. Was told as it is rubber it deteriorates so even though my 2017 only has 23000 miles on the clock I still have to do it.

I purchased a 2017 with about 20K in 2020. One nice surprise I had was that the previous owner bought AudiCare that covered the 10,20,30,40,50K services. They had already done 10-30, and I have had 40-50 done for no cost. So maybe call your local Audi dealer with the VIN and see if it might have some service left on it.

I plan on being religious about having the recommended service done since it has been like that since day 1; my next service is the 60K and I'm probably going to purchase the AudiCare package for the 60/70K service. $879 total for those 2 services. The 40/50K Audicare is the same price.
I have been doing a little reading to familiarise myself with Audi. I don't want to just be mesmerized by the good looks and great features. Someone commented that they were being charged $250 for a oil change, battery $300, fan belt $3000. Are these things normally this expensive or is this just a one off situation.

Well there are no belt driven accessories (A/C, alternator, radiator fan, water pump) so I would be upset if I got charged for changing the "fan belt".. :) Perhaps it is the timing belt. I had gearbox fluid change done recently (about $600)... brake fluid every 2 years like every other car. I do oil change every 10K (the ICE runs 25% of the time based on my driving habits) about $100. Not bad really for routine maintenance... But a out of warranty propulsion battery is over $10K. 12V battery can be done DIY but you will need to reprogram the computers for them to know you have a new 12V. Maybe $150 for a AGM unit. Owners manual does warn against letting non dealers muck with the EV system threatening to void the warranty. (I'm just the messenger here)

I have been doing a little reading to familiarise myself with Audi. I don't want to just be mesmerized by the good looks and great features. Someone commented that they were being charged $250 for a oil change, battery $300, fan belt $3000. Are these things normally this expensive or is this just a one off situation.
Yeah - that's typical dealer pricing. Figure $150-200/hr for labour, and anything they do (even as simple as changing the battery, they'll charge you for an hour).

$3000 price is definitely the timing belt. It's an involved process, but that side of the engine is just the standard 1.4T engine that VW used in a lot of cars, so any competent VW shop should be able to do it for probably half that price.

I do all of my own work, so those prices don't put me off; it's a great car, and yes - there are things that can go wrong and break, but that's true with any car. Standard maintenance is not egregiously overpriced - the DSG transmission fluid flush being the exception, but that's not e-tron/Audi, but rather typical price for any VWAG product with the DSG.
(The fluid and filter can be had for $100; I can do the fluid change in my driveway in a little over an hour - always shocks me that the dealer price is so over-the-top on that one. OE DSG fluid is charged at $35/L and requires 5-6L, so that explains some, but how they can't knock this out in an hour worth of labour is beyond me.)

Latest posts

Back